Thursday, August 25, 2011

Dictionary.com

One of my favorite apps is Dictionary.com. I've learned new words like footle ("to act in foolish or silly way") and become reacquainted with old ones like aphorism ("a terse saying embodying truth or astute observation"). I also enjoy the "Question of the Day." Today I learned the difference between the meteorological terms snow flurries and snow showers. (For those who don't know, snow flurries refers to "light, intermittent snowfall without significant accumulation." Show showers refers to "a short period of light-to-moderate snowfall, also characterized by a sudden beginning and ending.") When the snow arrives here in Pennsylvania, which it always does far too early for my taste, I'll try to use the terms correctly, although I can't promise I'll do that.